Covid-19 continues to spread across the globe, and, like the rest of the world, the MedtTech industry is strategizing the best ways to deal with the pandemic. SmartTRAK's analysts continue to monitor the effect COVID-19 is having on the Life Sciences industry, sifting through the noise to present the most relevant news to its subscribers and report on the impact the global healthcare crisis is having on the industry at large.
Following is a selection of the COVID-19 updates from the past week as compiled by the analysts at SmartTRAK:
OTA COVID-19 Webinar
- OTA Special Webinar COVID-19: Preparedness in Orthopaedic Trauma OTA Panel Discussion was held 4/2/10. Panel included 9 OTA Trauma surgeons. For a recording of the Webinar, go to: .
- As a result of COVID-19 and stay at home orders, trauma surgeons are seeing a definite decrease in volumes, with polytrauma being almost negligible in certain cities. Geriatric fractures have decreased but to a lesser extent according to the OTA COVID-19 Webinar discussion.
- According to the OTA webinar panel discussions, trauma surgeons are taking resource allocation into consideration when assessing fracture care of the clavicle, humeral shaft or fibula and deciding whether to treat conservatively vs. operate in areas with COVID-19 surges.
COVID-19 Risks to Clinical Trials
The impact of COVID-19 has been immense. This article reviews eight significant risks COVID-19 poses to clinical trials and how to mitigate them.
COVID-19: Projections of Peak and Procedure Returns
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation is now projecting lower overall hospital resource needs in the US and predicts the peak will be April 15. Based on this, WFS estimates elective procedures will be depressed through June.
JAK Inhibitor As Cytokine Treatment in COVID-19
Incyte and pharma giant Novartis is set to roll JAK inhibitor, Jakafi, into a COVID-19 Phase III clinical trial, testing it as a tx for cytokine storm, an immune overreaction that causes respiratory complications in severe COVID-19 pts.
Med Device Usability Testing in the Era of COVID-19
Medical device usability testing can be tricky even w/o the COVID-19 pandemic. In this article, authors share SOPs for addressing new problems presented by COVID-19, which may provide development teams w/ a jumping-off point for user testing programs.
SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Treatment Being Developed
Amgen and Adaptive are partnering to develop fully human neutralizing antibodies targeting the SARS-CoV-2 virus in order to prevent or treat COVID-19.
COVID-19 Response: AAHKS Online Resource Center
AAHKS has created an online COVID-19 resource center on its website for orthopedic surgeons including links to recent federal guidance, patient education, personal protective equipment guidance and links to other medical association resources.
3M COVID-19 Response
In addition to ramping up the production rate of N95 respirators, 3M stated they are now collaborating with several sterilization companies to find a way for hospitals to safely clean, reuse and extend the life of these respirators.
- An article “All Feet On Deck—The Role of Podiatry During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Preventing hospitalizations in an overburdened healthcare system, reducing amputation and death in people with diabetes” was published to guide clinicians in the care of this at risk population. JAPMA
- A triage system for lower-extremity wounds and diabetic foot problems, which will drive the site and urgency of podiatric care, has been outlined in a recent article published in JAPAM.
- CMS has also allowed for reimbursement for remote pt monitoring in many circumstances, especially useful for high-risk pts w/o active ulcerations. Descriptions of CMS recognized Telehealth Visits, Online Digital Visits and Remote Patient Monitoring have been published in JAPMA.
COVID-19: Transfer of Pts to Non-Hospital Setting
CMS is issuing new rules and waivers of federal requirements which include allowing transfer of pts for treatment in non-hospital facilities such as ASCs. ASCs can contract w/ healthcare systems to provide hospital services which may include trauma and other essential surgeries.
The top 15 global Advanced Wound companies depend on SmartTRAK to provide up-to-date intel on industry trends, news, financial data and competitor developments. All subscribers receive a Daily Updates email containing the latest need-to-know news from earnings calls, conferences, studies, patent filings, new products and more, all curated by our analysts. It's the perfect way to start your day! If you would like a demo of all SmartTRAK has to offer, just click the button below.