With a boost from an extra selling day during the third quarter, the US OrthoBio Market continues to be healthy, with Q319 revenue up +5.8% YOY. Year-to-date revenue is up +5.5% compared to the same time period for 2018. In addition to the specific factors that were discussed in the Q219 OrthoBio Recap, the segment’s success may be attributed to robustness in the broader economy and more people feeling comfortable scheduling procedures. As reported in Needham’s Q319 Review, in Q319 vs. Q219, overall orthopedic market growth improved to 5.0% vs. 3.1%, with spine improving to ...Among the many topics covered in the complete, comprehensive Q319 OrthoBio Market Recap* are:
- Complete OrthoBio Market Highlights and Overview
- Spine Procedure Growth and Technology Shifts Influence US Bone Replacement
- US Cartilage Replacement Grows as Joint Preservation Awareness Heightens
- Soft Tissue Patches Continue to Slow Overall Soft Tissue Replacement Growth
- Meniscus Allograft Growth Continues to Surprise the Industry
- Q319 US Regulatory Highlights
In Q319, many companies reported that they are not only seeing an increase in procedures, but an increase in revenue per procedure due to pull-through from enabling technologies. These upsides are off-setting some market dynamics like pricing pressure and switch from core products to newer technologies.
For Q319, the largest OrthoBio segment, US Bone Replacement market, grew +5% YoY, beating the expected market rate of 3.8%. This strong performance was primarily driven by Infuse Bone Graft sales and continued switch to later generation bone substitutes like enhanced DBM fibers and bioactive synthetics. Medtronic’s organic revenue growth in Spine hit its highest level in 2.5 years, with low-double digit growth in Infuse sales, which was aided by...